One-page leaflet in plain language on one of the most confusing issues of our time and a support for people who are struggling with same-sex attraction
1. Same-sex attraction is not the same as homosexual behavior.
1.1 Same-sex attraction (SSA)- this is usually not a choice, but a result of multiple factors.
1.2. Homosexual behavior – this is a choice, because 50% of people who performed homosexual actions before age 15 never did it again.
1.3. Homosexual self-identification – a choice of what to label oneself. (Source: Samesexattraction.org, FRC, Top Ten Myths)
2. Homosexuality is not genetic. Researchers Bearman and Brückner of Columbia and Yale University found in 2002 that among male identical twins (who have the same genetic code) only 6.7% are both gay and 5.3%both lesbians. Compare this to 98% of identical twins who have the same eye color, showing this is determined by genes.
3. Same-sex attraction has multiple causes:3.1. Sadness and loneliness due to father and child relationship characterized by abandonment, hostility or disinterest.
3.2. Weak masculine identity and loneliness due to lack of male peer acceptance due to inability to play team sports
3.3. Mother perceived as domineering, overly demanding
3.4. Sexually abused
3.5. Traumatized by important males (for females)
3.6. Failure to identify and have friendships with same-sex peers
3.7 Separation from parent during critical time of development
3.8 Narcissism and profound selfishness (Sources: Homosexuality and Hope, People can change self-survey)
4. Psychiatric disorders are far more common among people with same-sex attraction.
Recent research has shown that depression, anxiety disorders, suicidal ideas, & conduct disorder are prevalent among them. (HH)
5. Homosexual unions have negative implications:
5.1. Short-lived. Married people in the US stay together for an average of 9.8 years. Cohabiting 1.7, gays 3.5, lesbians 2.2.
5.2. Health hazard. ‘Coupled’ homosexuals are more apt than ‘single’ gays to engage in highly risky, unsanitary sex, resulting in AIDS, hepatitis, etc. More than 50% (85% in PH) of all new HIV infections occur in gays and men who have sex with men (MSM).
5.3. Highest rate of domestic violence. In marriage, the average rate of domestic violence is less than 5% a year. Unmarried report 20% to 25%. Lesbians couples 48 -58%, and gays 29-39%.
5.4. Homosexuals make poor parents. 0.6% children with non-homosexual parents reported sex with their parents or stepparents. For children with gay parents, 50% of sons reported sex with their father and 18% of daughters reported sex with a stepmother. Children of gays scored lowest in math and language skills, were least popular. (Source: Family Research Council, Getting the Facts: Same-Sex Marriage; amFAR.on spread of AIDS)
6. Bible: acts are “an abomination” (extremely disgusting and hateful) . “Dishonorable, unnatural”.6.1. If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination. ( Lev 20:13) “Abomination” means an extremely disgusting and hateful thing. (Merriam-Webster)
6.2 God gave them up to dishonorable passions…unnatural… men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in their own persons the due penalty for their error. (Romans 1:26-28)
6.3 Fornicators, adulterers, sodomites [homosexuals]…—none of these will inherit the kingdom of God(1 Cor 6:9-10)
7. Catholic teaching: A disorder and a trial. Homosexual persons are accepted with compassion.7.1 Everyone should accept his or her sexual identity. (CCC 2333)
7.2 Homosexual acts are intrinsically disordered. They close the sexual act to the gift of life and do not proceed from a genuine affective and sexual complementarity.
7.3 This inclination constitutes a trial for most of those who have these tendencies. They must be accepted with respect, compassion, and sensitivity. Avoid any sign of unjust discrimination. These persons are called to fulfill God’s will in their lives and, if they are Christians, to unite to the sacrifice of the Lord’s Cross the difficulties they may encounter from their condition.
7.4. Homosexual persons are called to chastity. By the virtues of self-mastery that teach them inner freedom, at times by the support of disinterested friendship, by prayer and sacramental grace, they can and should gradually and resolutely approach Christian perfection. (CCC 2357-9)
8. Therapy: resolving emotional pain and training in chastity
8.1. Healing of homosexual attractions and behavior: key to recovery is admitting powerlessness, learning to forgive, and an intimate, loving friendship with Christ. “Only God’s love is powerful enough to overcome the painful loneliness and sadness.” http://www.catholiceducation.org/articles/homosexuality/ho0011.html
8.2. People Can Change. Strategies, stories of change and resources: http://www.peoplecanchange.com
8.3 The Battle for Normality: A Guide for (self-) Therapy for Homosexuality: http://www.jonahweb.org/sections.php?secId=238
8.4 Forgiveness websites. There are many, e.g. http://theforgivenessproject.com & http://www.forgivenessweb.com
8.5 Chastity education internet resources. Jason Evert’s http://chastity.com/research/document-library; http://primacyofreason.blogspot.com/2011/12/chastity-education-internet-resources.html
8.6. Support group: Courage Community. Find the local chapter at: http://www.couragerc.net/Chapter_Listings.html
Download one-page leaflet here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64318356/KEY%20FACTS.doc
Permission to copy is granted by the author, Dr. Raul Nidoy. Please distribute generously in order to dispel ignorance of these key facts.